Sunday, June 18, 2006

23/365

Sunday. Reflecting on the week I've just had and appreciating all the very good things that happened in it. Musing on how easy it is to make idols of all those things, to start loving life purely for the details rather than the One who made and gave them. Don't get me wrong, it is right and proper and joyful to dwell in the details. But they are not the ultimate point of this life. Tonight at church we took communion. I love those times because in them we get to hold our hands out and receive, we get to accept that we are in desperate need of a saviour and cannot save ourselves, we get to experience the extravagance of the Creator of heaven and earth as he pours himself out for us. The Giver, giving the best gift, himself.

And then we sang my favourite hymn, 'How great thou art'. It's a hymn I can't listen to without having images of the Lake District floating around in front of my eyes. It's a hymn that kind of sums up what I'm trying to articulate here. It starts with the majestic power of God, goes through creation and the wonders of this world (kind of what this blog wants to draw attention to) and then goes straight to the heart of this life. This God didn't spare his Son, but sent him to die to take away my sin, to bear my burden, to draw me to him. The ultimate reality is God, the director and author of life, the Father Son and Spirit drawing us into their relationship. The Giver of all these brilliant gifts. And so it is good to stop and ask the question of my soul, if I had none of these gifts would I still be satisfied with the Giver himself?

With the God of heaven and earth, with the lover of my soul, with the Father who runs to greet me, with the Son who gave himself for me, with the Spirit who is at work in me reminding me of these things. The gifts he gives us in this life are amazing, the depth, the detail, the beauty, the taste, the touch, the smell and sense. But they are not IT. They must not replace an appetite for God in my soul. The questions remain, "do I really hunger for God? Do I miss him? Do I long for him? Or have I begun to be content with his gifts?" (J.Piper- A Hunger for God). I want to feast on God, I want to drink from the inexhaustible fountain. I want to know Him. I want to ache inside for Him, I want to know Christ. I want to have these desires more than anything else. So come Lord, break through my idolatry and show me You, show me that you are better than these amazing gifts, help me revel in You, the mighty God of the universe, the tender lover of my soul, the roaring sound of the Niagara Falls and the gentle crackling of a winters fire. Come and show us you.

(much of this is owed to Mr J Piper- go and read a Hunger for God. Now.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home