Monday, May 29, 2006

3/365

The moment in a song when the change occurs from a minor to a major key (btw I have NO idea what I'm talking about, a friend told me what was going on when I asked her) and the key changes up a semi tone. The moment that lifts something inside your soul and makes you think that maybe something could be good in this world. The moment that, even in a song of misery and pain, can bring a small light of optimism into the proceedings.

Obviously Westlife use this technique in a negative, stand up for the key change, sense, but go and put on 'The Blowers Daughter' by Damien Rice. The moment near the end as he launches into the "Did I say that I loathe you? Did I say that I want to, leave it all behind?", it's not so much the lyrics but the building haunting sense of lift that the music brings. That even in a world of such pain, such hope can enter and lift the soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home